On Monday 2nd August (yesterday) the demand for electricity supply reached a record level of 561MW, representing an increase of six per cent when compared to the highest ever rate registered of 510MW in July 2019.
The demand for electricity has been on the increase since the first heatwave hit the Maltese islands towards the end of June, when the demand reached 536MW, a statement by Enemalta reads.
This also exceeded the record reached in July of two years ago. When compared to last year, the demand for electricity increased by 7.7 per cent in the first seven months of the year.
This significant increase in demand over the past weeks, together with the high temperatures causing damages to the low-voltage network, affected a number of Enemalta clients in different localities, the company stressed.
Enemalta apologized for any inconveniences caused and reassured the public it is doing its utmost to always reduce the duration of power outages.
Indeed, on Monday evening, several power cuts were felt in villages across the island as Malta faces a second heatwave of the summer. Further to the unplanned power cuts, the company is planning cuts across 26 localities over the comping days as part of its scheduled maintenance.
Turning to the unplanned power cuts as a result of damage sustained due to increased demand, the power company said the duration of power outages varied according to the type of fault.
“Resultantly, electricity supply is restored in a matter of minutes in some cases, while in others, it takes longer.”
When possible, Enemalta said it deploys generators to substations to mitigate inconveniences whilst repairs are underway. Investments have already been made by the company in distribution networks to reduce the incidences of interruptions, and such investments remain the company’s priority, Enemalta said.
“Thus, during the year Enemalta continually invests in the upgrade of the distribution network, so that it may efficiently meet the demands resulting from economic growth.”
In 2020, the company noted, Enemalta invested €12 million, while so far this year it invested €6 million in its distribution network.
“Thanks to the investment made in recent years by Enemalta as part of its programme to automate its substations, many of these interruptions were resolved in a relatively short time.
“Enemalta remains committed to continue improving its distribution system to reduce the duration of interruption of supply.”
The company also reminded clients that its customer care service is available 24/7 on 80072224.
The new Maltese flag carrier will start accepting bookings for its Summer 2024 schedule from Monday 4th December
Housing Authority will now be able to hand out administrative fines in cases of infringement such as unregistered contracts
The Government hopes that these sectors will make up 1% of Malta’s GDP by 2028