Events concert party / pexels

A broad campaign grouping together stakeholders within Malta’s events, clubs and entertainment sector, Re-start, has cautioned the authorities that a plan for the industry must be shared by this week so that activities may restart next month.

While all other industries are open for business or have a plan, the entertainment industry is literally the only sector…

Posted by Restart on Tuesday, 8 June 2021

In May, authorities angered members of the events sector when it announced Malta had achieved herd immunity, and, with almost all economic sectors and niches being given a reopening plan, events and parties had been left in the dark.

Responding to mounting pressure, at the end of May, Deputy Prime Minister and Health Minister Chris Fearne revealed that it was in talks with Malta’s Curia, the Malta Entertainment Industry and Arts Association (MEIA) as well as other cultural stakeholders to see how from July onwards “limited and controlled” social and cultural activities can recommence.

He said that such activities will be open to vaccinated persons with a valid local vaccine certificate.

Despite the glimmer of hope, the authorities have shared no details on what a restart to events may look like.

“While all other industries are open for business or have a plan, the entertainment industry is literally the only sector kept in the dark. We need a plan by this week to be able to restart next month. Time is running out,” the Restart campaign said on social media on Tuesday morning.

On its part, Restart has shared its own proposals for how the sector can recommence. It is requesting that events start with 25 per cent standing capacity up to a maximum of 300 persons from 14th June.

Given the country’s rapid progress in its vaccination programme and the success of the vaccine in fighting the virus,…

Posted by Restart on Monday, 31 May 2021

As from 1st July, it is calling for 50 per cent standing capacity of up to 800 persons maximum, 75 per cent from 1st August and full standing capacity by 1st September.

The above relates to vaccinated persons only.

In its own statement last week, the MEIA also complained about a lack of detail as to how the entertainment sector can recommence. It highlighted how, in reality, the situation is more precarious than last summer and noted how the lack of information continues to increase uncertainty for all players.

Għaddiet aktar minn ġimgħa minn meta ppreżentajna l-proposti tagħna għall-ftuħ gradwali tal-attivitajiet artistiċi u…

Posted by MEIA – Malta Entertainment Industry and Arts Association on Friday, 4 June 2021

“A week has passed since we submitted our proposals for the gradual reopening of arts and entertainment events, including controlled outdoor events. The situation is more precarious than last summer. Lack of information continues to increase the uncertainties for artists, technicians and other professionals together with entrepreneurs in our sectors who have the right to know when and how they can provide the public with events in the coming months.”

Central Bank finds annual growth in business activity to be lower than average

February 29, 2024
by BN Writer

Price expectations rose among retailers and in the construction sector

Mazzit may get special certification as a typically Maltese product

February 29, 2024
by Robert Fenech

The MCCAA has launched a public consultation about the mazzit’s Protected Geographical Indication rating

Byron Camilleri takes over employment portfolio amidst Sofia inquiry fallout

February 29, 2024
by Anthea Cachia

‘The decision was primarily taken to strengthen the coordination between Government entities’