There were no tourists on board the Gozo Sightseeing bus that shocked passers-by as it was engulfed in flames earlier on Tuesday.

The incident happened at 11:15am in Fortunato Mizzi Str, in Victoria, Gozo.

The hop-on hop-off service is popular with tourists, but was empty at the time.

Witnesses said that the double-decker vehicle blocked traffic on Gozo’s main road.

Videos uploaded to Facebook appear to show fire coming from the engine at the rear of the vehicle.

The police have not reported any injuries, and the fire was put out by members of Civil Protection and the police.

Speaking to Times of Malta, operator of the Gozo Sightseeing bus, Ennio Farrugia, confirmed there was only the driver on board the bus at the time of the incident. He also said that a private investigation is being set up to establish the cause of the fire.

Related

PN proposes new educational facilities for AI, robotics and data science

May 20, 2026
by Nicole Zammit

The proposed school and campus would include advanced laboratories, maker spaces and collaboration with the University, start-ups and industry

Maltese student startups turn towels and batteries into award-winning concepts

May 20, 2026
by BN Writer

Xuga and KinetiHear will now represent Malta at the Gen-E festival in Riga

EU co-legislators strike deal on US trade pact

May 20, 2026
by Kevin Schembri Orland

Top European Parliament negotiator Bernd Lang said that it’s been a rocky journey, 'but it was worth it'