China’s first COVID-19 vaccine granted approval

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that after recorded COVID cases have declined for a fifth consecutive week, what now matters is the world’s response to the trend.

Discussing the COVID global outlook on Monday, the WHO director-general, Tedros Ghebreyesus said that the downward trend shows that “simple public health measures work”.

So far this year, the number of weekly reported cases has fallen by almost half, from more than five million cases in the week of 4th January to 2.6 million cases in the week starting 9th February, which marked the lowest number of weekly reported cases since October. 

Dr Ghebreyesus warned against complacency, however, saying that “the fire is not out”, and “if we stop fighting it on any front, it will come roaring back.”

He also celebrated the vaccine rollout, saying the WHO’s emergency listing of two versions of the AstraZeneca vaccine, that will be produced in India and the Republic of Korea, gives “even more reason to be hopeful of bringing the pandemic under control”.

Looking to the future, he reiterated that vaccine production needs to be scaled up, and called for vaccine developers to continue to submit their dossiers to WHO for review, at the same time as they submit them to regulators in high-income countries. 

Addressing concerns over vaccine safety, Dr Ghebreyesus said: “in the past year, we have seen the real harm that can be caused when people are overwhelmed by information, misinformation and disinformation.”

However, he believes the answer to this problem “is not just to fight misinformation and delete false or misleading statements”, but rather “to listen to the real concerns and questions people have, and to answer those questions with good information.”

Dr Ghebreyesus also COVIexpressed concern about outbreaks of Ebola in Guinea and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which are unrelated, but pose similar challenges.

Comparing COVID and Ebola, he said that “both thrive on misinformation and mistrust. But both can be stopped with proven public health measures, engaged communities, accurate information and vaccines.”

In Malta, reported COVID cases are largely stable, with active cases having declined since their 19th January peak, from 2,835 to 2,340 on 15th February.

Related

Job vacancy rates: Northwest Europe has highest demand for workers, while Eastern and South Europe struggle

August 25, 2025
by Sam Vassallo

Malta's job vacancy rate is above he EU average

EU Commission unveils record €1.816 trillion budget – but faces an uphill battle on the negotiations table

July 17, 2025
by Sam Vassallo

The plan, touted as 'more strategic, more flexible, more transparent,' seeks to reallocate funds toward competitiveness, defence, and crisis resilience

WeTransfer to train AI on user files

July 15, 2025
by Sam Vassallo

This includes any kind of file, from films, photos, artworks, sensitive information and so on