The Foundation for Medical Services will mobilise its workers and contractors to Mater Dei Hospital on Monday evening to begin the construction of the extension of the Emergency Department, an acute mental health unit and other healthcare facilities, the Health Ministry said.
Announcing the commencement of works, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Health Ian Borg said that the €120 million investment will deliver the first major expansion of the accident and emergency services at the hospital since it opened 19 years ago.
“For the first time in Malta, this project will introduce acute mental health services within the hospital,” the ministry said.
“Malta continues to experience significant social and economic development, while higher life expectancy and a growing elderly population are pushing up demand for healthcare services. Together with other investments, this project will equip our accident and emergency services with the infrastructure, advanced technologies and healthcare personnel that our country needs today and in the future. We want to deliver better and more efficient care, while providing an improved working environment for our dedicated staff,” Dr Borg said.
Through this project, the Government is doubling the capacity of Malta’s current Accident and Emergency services, increasing the number of treatment cubicles from 35 to 70, in a layout designed for improved patient flows and operational efficiency, the ministry explained. It is also adding more resources for paediatric emergency care.
The new building will incorporate safer and improved areas for Emergency Department staff, with new offices, meeting and training spaces, changing rooms and other related amenities, the ministry stated.
The new acute mental health unit will comprise several wards, with a total capacity of 135 beds. It will also have a dedicated therapeutic garden.
The Foundation for Medical Services within the Ministry for Health concluded the contracting stage of this project a few weeks ago and launched preparations for works on site. On Monday night (17th August), contractors will be erecting temporary barriers to safely segregate the construction site, located next to the existing Emergency Department, from the rest of the Hospital grounds. Clearing and excavation works will follow.
The existing Emergency Department will remain fully operational throughout the works. However, some parking spaces outside the building will no longer be available.
Temporary parking arrangements and designated patient drop-off routes will be introduced at different stages of the project to maintain safe and efficient access to the Emergency Department at all times.
Mater Dei Hospital is deploying additional support and security personnel in the area to guide patients and those accompanying them, while additional directional signage will be installed to facilitate access.
The Ministry for Health also reminded the public that anyone who is unsure whether their condition requires emergency assistance should call the 24/7 helpline 1400. Through this service, callers can speak to experienced healthcare professionals who will direct them towards the safest and quickest place to receive appropriate care, which may not always be Mater Dei Hospital’s Emergency Department.
Featured Image:
ODPM-MFH
A new report examines how the growth of teleworking and flexible working arrangements is affecting employees' lives
The warning follows an alert issued earlier this week by LESA over fraudulent messages claiming recipients had outstanding traffic contraventions
The scheme was approved under the The Middle East Crisis Temporary State Aid Framework